Saturday, September 5, 2009

What's Cookin'


With my kids going back to school on Tuesday, I am newly motivated to try to cook some nice and healthy weeknight meals for the family. Too many times we've fallen back on soup (from a can), chicken nuggets and sandwiches. I'm not looking to make anything fancy. Just some simple, fresh foods that might broaden their palettes a bit and make me feel good about serving it to them. And it's not all about the kids. I find that when I spend some time making a meal, I sit down and savor it a bit more than something I just throw together. I'd also like to have a nice option for my husband when he comes home from work. He might not get too excited about the veggie burgers I plan on cooking up this week, but it will be there if he wants to try it!
Though the kids will be in school all day, I don't plan on cooking all day! I am planning an art class I'll (hopefully) be teaching at the school, working on a newsletter and two magazines, continuing with Raspberrykidz and (coincidentally) putting together a cookbook as a school fundraiser. I would, however, like to work on organization and simplicity, and I'd like to keep the grocery bill down at the same time.

I also think that posting here will help motivate me to make a nice presentation, because I will occassionally take pictures of what I serve up to post here, starting right now. Above is a simple green bean dish I brought to my parents' house this evening for a barbeque.
If you have any simple recipes, tips, tricks...anything you would like to share, feel free to post here! I can use all the help I can get!

12 comments:

  1. That looks wonderful! Wish you would come cook at my house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! That looks so fresh and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM - looks so tasty and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cooking, though I do something quick and simple on days that I work, I try to go all out on my days off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was yummy - had some last night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I want to keep in touch with you if you are interested in being part of my blogoversary bash that I am hosting after the Dirty Thirty Birthday Bash. The blog bash will have items for children, the birthday bash is all items for women.

    Thanks so much! Great blog you have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finally have a few days when all mine are in school! I can't wait to actually turn on the oven :)

    Mary K
    http://keepsmeinstitches.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds really good! Just followed your blog. I think you are following mine already: http://tranquility-base-designs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. jammatun-looks like i wasn't following your blog, but i am now!

    ReplyDelete