Friday, September 25, 2009

What's Cookin'-Week 3




Well our oven is still broken, but I was just craving some homemade bread (must be the colder weather coming on). So I made challah in the toaster oven. I had been making mini loaves for awhile, even when the oven worked, because it kept me from eating a whole big loaf with one meal. I keep the little loaves in the freezer and pop them out when needed. Since I started using whole wheat flour, the kids haven’t been as crazy about it, so this time I used about 50/50 whole wheat and white flour. And in some of the rolls, I tucked in some chocolate chips. Big success.

Though meatballs might not seem like a big deal, cooking anything for me kinda is. So, I made my mom’s meatball recipe for the family. But I don’t eat meat, so I made myself a tempeh, tofu, spinach sweet potato combo. Now, it doesn’t look great, but I absolutely love it. I had seen a recipe I thought was appropriate for the Jewish New Year: Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Apples and Honey. It called for canned yams and apple sauce. Instead, I used fresh sweet potatoes, and I made my own applesauce. Then I just added cinnamon, nutmeg and honey. It was good enough for dessert. 
     Hoping to go apple picking with the kids so I can make more!

No comments:

Post a Comment