Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Talk to Me Tuesday!




I found Cut N Glue on Etsy. She has a great shop, and I just LOVE her collages. She's my Tuesday feature, so check her out!

Please give us a little background of you as an artist.
I have been artistic my whole life. As a child I could be found sitting quietly in my room coloring in my coloring books, cutting bits of paper and gluing them to things, or designing clothes for my Barbie dolls with scraps of fabric from my mom's sewing projects. I majored in Art in college and have a minor in Crafts. I think I am the only person who actually DID take a class in basket weaving (not under water though as the old joke goes)

What materials do you use for your collages?
I use magazine pages, cardboard boxes, and anything else that I would otherwise have to throw in the trash. Even though I will be the first to admit I am not a "tree hugger" I am just trying to do my bit to help the environment. I know there is so much more I could do but my art work is my first tiny step.

How long does it take you complete a piece? 
If I sat down and just did one straight through I could do it in about 7 to 10 hours. I normally take about 3 days to do one. My back starts to hurt if I sit too long. I have to move around a good bit.

Who or what inspires you? 
I had this set of Sesame Street books when I was a child. There was this little town made of boxes and construction paper. I always wanted to make that town. Now, I am doing that in 2-D. One day I will make a 3-D town. That is my goal. I am also inspired by Folk Art. Being from the Mississippi Delta, there is a ton of Folk Art around here. I have always admired it.

What time of day are you most productive? 
I work days, so I am mostly creative at night. My most creative day of the week is Thursday. I work 6 days a week in a restaurant and Thursday is my day off. I like to spend Thursday being creative.

Your pieces have so much energy. Do you listen to music while creating them? If so, what? 
Yes, I am either listening to my husband (Aubrey Holman) who is a singer/songwriter playing guitar or listening to Pandora. I love the diversity of Pandora. I discover so many great artists I would have never heard of if not for Pandora. My new favorite band is called "Iron and Wine." I also love Amos Lee.

What is your favorite item in your shop right now? 
I have 3 pieces I love. Main Street, which is only available in print now (the original is in France), Downtown, which is also only available in print (the original is in Texas), and Square Dance (the original is still available and is currently on my dining room wall)

What is one thing you can't live without? 
I would say my husband is the one thing I can not live without. We are like two peas in a pod.

Where do you see yourself/your art/your business in 5 years
I just hope I am stillbeing creative and productive. I do not have a huge business plan. I once had a very successful pottery business. I stayed so busy with it, the joy of the process was taken from me. I just hope to never lose my joy in my art again. The day I stop having fun with it, I will have to quit. For the first time in my life, I am creating for the love of the art and not the love of the money. Sure, I love it when I make a sale, but I am just enjoying myself right now.

Anything else you would like to share? 
I just want to tell everyone to stay true to yourself always. Find the joy in your art, craft, or hobby. We all go through slumpsand that is okay. If you do not feel creative one day, one month, or one year, it will come back to you. I think it just runs through our veins. Sometimes my creativity comes out in a meal I make, or the way I dress, or a post on my blog. It doesn't always come out as a piece of art.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much!


    I really love the piece in your post below :) It is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful art- so glad you stopped by the Etsy thread and I got to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete