Friday, January 14, 2011

The Very Crafty Children

This week in PreK Art Lunch, we read books by Eric Carle. Starting with Walter the Baker and Ending with The Very Hungry Caterpillar, we also read The Very Clumsy Click Bettle and The Very Busy Spider. We looked at Eric Carle's beautiful artwork and talked about similarities in all the books (a lot seemed to happen early in the morning, and the sun plays a big role). By the time we got to The Very Hungry Caterpillar, lunch had mostly been eaten, and we were all anxious to work on the art project. I had done this project once years ago with one of my kids, on a trip to the Garfield Park Conservatory. I thought it was so cute and clever, I decided to use it myself. As we read through everything the caterpillar ate, the children filled their snack bags with the appropriate number and color pom poms (5 oranges = 5 orange pom poms, though I do admit to letting them choose other colors if they wanted to). I had cut out mini foam shapes to resemble a pickle, slice of watermelon, swiss cheese, etc., so they found those and added them to the bag at the appropriate time. When the caterpillar finally transformed into a butterfly, we put the bags together with a clothespin, added antennae and had our very own butterflies. And this time, even Beatrice let me take a picture of hers. : )



No comments:

Post a Comment