Friday, January 7, 2011

PreK Art Lunch-Week 1

Yesterday was our first PreK Art Lunch Class, and it was lots of fun. This first week there were 2 children, Teo and Beatrice. Others will be joining us in upcoming weeks. For the first day, I thought a great book to start things off would be "The Dot" by Peter Reynolds, one of my favorites. It's about a girl named Vashti who says she can't draw. Her art teacher tells her to "just make a mark and see where it takes you." Vashti angrily jabs her marker onto her paper. Her teacher looks at it and says "Now sign it," so Vashti does. The next week, when she goes to art class, Vashti sees her dot hanging above her teacher's desk, "all framed in swirly gold!" The rest of the story follows where that one mark ends up taking Vashti, how her art teacher encouraged her, and how Vashti goes on to encourage others. I love this book. 

We simply started by making our own "dot" paintings. With just dots, it was interesting to see how different the two final pieces turned out. There's really so much you can do with just dots. Beatrice did not want me to take a picture of her artwork, but Teo let me, so I am only posting his. I think it's great, and I too framed it in a little swirly gold.



No comments:

Post a Comment