Friday, April 1, 2011

Lunch with Mr. Pine

Mr. Pine's Purple House was one of my favorite books when I was little. When I had kids of my own, I put it on hold at the library and was happy to find it was as cute as I remembered. When I started teaching this class, I thought Mr. Pine's Purple House would be a perfect book to share.

First we talked about our own homes and what colors the buildings are where we live. Nobody in the group had ever seen a purple house.

The book is about Mr. Pine, who lives on Vine Street, where there are 50 white houses, all in a line. How can Mr. Pine tell which house is his? First, he plants a pine tree in his front yard. All of his neighbors love it, and they all copy him. So now there are 50 white houses with 50 pine trees. So he plants a bush. You guessed it...all of his neighbors do the same.

Finally, Mr. Pine decides to paint his house—purple. When his neighbors, who happen to have last names of "Green," "Gray" and "Gold" decide to paint their houses, he shouts, "NO! Not 50 purple houses all in a line." But they decide to paint their houses all different colors (which do not coincide with their last names, a little twist I find amusing).

For our project, the children created their own unique houses. If they were to see it on the street, they would surely know it was where they lived.






No comments:

Post a Comment