Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Under the Influence-Week 7













You might notice I didn't post anything from the art class last week. I was not happy with the project. We did Matisse collages, and I am hoping to rework the project for the next time I teach this class. So, moving on to Week 7.

I was all prepared to do Georgia O'Keeffe. I practiced making tissue paper flowers with the kids and doing pastel drawings (ruining their white uniform tops in the process...why didn't I make them change?). Then I had a more timely idea. With Halloween coming up, the kids are all excited, anticipating their class parties on Friday and trick-or-treating on Saturday. Who better to learn about than Edvard Munch, artist of The Scream? We started by looking at The Scream and discussing why it was spooky. This is what Munch wrote about the painting:
"I was walking down the road with two friends when the sun set; suddenly, the sky turned as red as blood. I stopped and leaned against the fence, feeling unspeakably tired. Tongues of fire and blood stretched over the bluish black fjord. My friends went on walking, while I lagged behind, shivering with fear. Then I heard the enormous, infinite scream of nature."

The kids were to paint something inspired by The Scream. It could be someone or something screaming, or something that would make someone scream. I think they did an excellent job. And next week, we'll move on to Georgia O'Keeffe and pretty flowers!

No comments:

Post a Comment